Coordinate a community development project, working with people who rent to build a community to enable them to make their homes more comfortable, reduce energy bills, and cut pollution.
About Better Renting
Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, and liveable homes. With more Australians locked out of homeownership, more of us are renting, and renting for longer. But renters are denied the rights and protections of homeowners. We can't all own a house - but we should all be able to rent a home. Renting can be a genuine alternative to homeownership - and Better Renting exists to make it happen.
Through 2018 we have been campaigning for policies to improve the energy efficiency of rental properties. ‘Home Truths’ is related to this area of work.
About ‘Home Truths’ and the role
‘Home Truths’ is a community development project to build the capacity and motivation of a community of renters to make their homes more energy-efficient. It aims to use the experiences of a small number of renters to tell a broader story that helps thousands of renters to understand what they can do to improve the energy efficiency of their rental properties. It will involve visiting renters at home, generating media awareness, and growing an online community of renters.
The Coordinator will do this by using individual stories and experiences to dramatise the problem and potential benefits of taking action. You will make it easy for people who rent to implement solutions themselves by connecting them with a supportive community. You will facilitate engagement by developing straightforward resources and templates. By making the benefits of energy efficiency concrete, relatable, and easier to achieve, you will build broader support for the energy transition amongst a community of people often disconnected from environmental issues.
Community engagement and digital communication
- Develop and promote resources for renters to improve the energy efficiency of their homes.
- Using home visits and social media to promote energy efficiency understanding in a broader community of renters.
- Building community with the ‘Canberra Renters’ Facebook group.
- Other activities to build and support the ‘Home Truths’ project.
- Promoting the project, recruiting renters, scheduling and conducting approximately 2 visits per week.
- Creatively communicating the issues facing people who rent with regard to energy efficiency and the potential opportunities for improvement.
The successful application will be:
- a skilled written and verbal communicator with an ability to express themselves clearly and simply to diverse audiences;
- able to readily build rapport with people and put them at ease;
- comfortable prioritising work and achieving outcomes efficiently;
It is also desirable for the candidate to:
- be confident in communicating with with social media, which may include video, photography, and graphic media;
- be familiar with options to improve a home’s energy efficiency;
- have experience of working in a small team with limited oversight;
- have access to a car and a suitable driver’s license. (Vehicle expenses will be reimbursed).
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t have all of the above characteristics. A passion for the work and willingness to learn is the most important thing.
Submit your application consisting of a cover letter addressing the selection criteria (one page) and resume to Joel Dignam, Executive Director, by 5pm Friday 8 February, to firstname.lastname@example.org. For any questions or to set up a time to speak with someone about the role, please contact email@example.com.
Better Renting is an equal-opportunity employer. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, LGBTQI people, and people with a disability are encouraged to apply.
With assistance from the ACT Government under the ACT Community Zero Emissions Grants Program.