Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, liveable homes. We do this by strengthening connections between renters, campaigning for legal reform, and reshaping the public conversation around housing. We exist to amplify the voice and build the power of the growing number of renters in Australia.
We are just starting-up and are still at an early-stage in our journey. Through 2018, we will be laying the foundations for Better Renting through setting up appropriate governance structures and piloting our approaches. At the same time, we’ll continue to campaign on the issues facing renters - especially higher standards for rental properties and an end to no-grounds evictions.
Will you join our ‘beta’ Board?
We are looking for a Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary, to take on six-month terms and form a three-person board for the second half of 2018. The Board will work primarily on governance and compliance matters, with the potential to provide strategic input. The Board will also be responsible for instituting an appropriate ongoing governance structure, to be in place by 2019.
Full role statements for each position are available here.
What the role involves
- Attendance at six, 1-1.5 hour meetings in person or by video conference (these can be conducted from your home or office). These will be held in the evening at a regular interval, starting from July.
- Approximately 1-2 additional meetings per year with the CEO to tap into your particular expertise.
- Attendance, where possible, at Better Renting functions or mission-related events.
Why do it
- Leave your thumbprint in the formative stages of an ambitious start-up.
- Work on a timely issue of increasing importance and relevance.
- Contribute your expertise and capacity to reforms that will make life better for vulnerable households across Australia.
- Extend your expertise in areas outside your day-to-day work.
Skills and Attributes sought
We are looking to have experience in the following areas:
- Fundraising, particular major donor, and philanthropic.
- Previous board experience
- Financial and accounting
- Policy and/or advocacy
- Business strategy & growth
We also want our board to be diverse with respect to age, gender, and ethnicity, and to include members with experience of renting.
Applicants from Canberra, who would be able to attend meetings in-person, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Selection and Appointment Process
- Express interest by contacting Executive Director Joel Dignam at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday May 14th.
- Initial interviews/conversations will be held during late May/early June with Joel Dignam.
- Appointments will be formalised in time for you to begin with the July 2018 meeting.