Continue reading →
Want to join a team of renters across Australia helping to build support for better quality rental homes?
We're looking for 'Renter Researchers' to sign up to track the temperature in your home over summer. We'll use data and input from Renter Researchers to document the impact of low-quality homes on renters, getting this evidence into the media and in front of decision-makers. This is part of the 'Healthy Homes for Renters' project and will help to build political support for minimum energy efficiency standards for rental properties.
Here's how it works:
- You apply below to be a Renter Researcher, by Friday 5 November.
- If we select you, we'll get in touch and send you a temperature tracker to use in your home, and add you to a WhatsApp group of fellow Researchers.
- A few times during summer, you share the temperature data with us, and we use this to build a picture of how renters are faring. We also encourage you to share your experiences on social media.
- We'll stay in touch on the phone and through short surveys to get a rich understanding of the impact of summer heat on you and other renters.
- We'll offer professional media training for free, and give you the chance to speak to journalists &/or politicians about your experiences.
Data gathering through temperature trackers will be anonymous. Anything identifiable or in the media will be voluntary, and we will pay an honorarium for people who appear in the media. (You can see the participant agreement here.)
What you get out of it:
- Help to build national support for policy changes to make rental homes healthier and more affordable.
- Free temperature tracker to keep. Is your lounge room hotter than an oven? Now you can know for sure.
- Professional media training and support to build your ability and confidence to get your voice out there.
You should apply if:
- You care about rental rights &/or improving rental housing.
- You are interested in citizen science projects and data.
- You are active on social media and want to help spread the word.
- You like the idea of using your story to achieve political change.
Interested? Apply using the form below.
If you have any other questions before applying, please email [email protected]