The Community Organiser is responsible for working with supporters of Better Renting to build their capacity to take on leadership and contribute deeply to our work. This is a volunteer role, based in Canberra.
What you get out of it
Few things are as rewarding as seeing people transform as, with your support, they grow in self-confidence, leadership and ability. As Better Renting's Community Organiser you'll play a central role in building leadership in our community to help us decentralise and scale up our campaigns. You'll have freedom and flexbility to experiment with different approaches, while benefitting from the support and coaching of some of Australia's most experienced and effective organisers. You'll have the opportunity to master skills in storytelling, relational meetings, and building volunteer teams.
Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, liveable homes. We use campaigning and community organising to extend the rights of renters, while building the capacity of our community to also defend our existing rights. We are a grassroots not-for-profit, led by renters.
The role would require an average of around eight hours a week.
This role is based in Canberra.
- Having relational meetings with potential volunteer leaders.
- Recruiting volunteers to events and actions.
- Identifying options to engage our supporters and give them ownership of our campaigns and projects.
- Running trainings.
Skills and attributes
- You should be interested in other people and able to form connections readily.
- You should be determined and resilient - able to do what it takes and succeed despite obstacles.
- You should be creative and original in coming up with ideas and actions for the Better Renting community to take action together.
- You should understand principles of designing and running trainings to maximise engagement and empowerment.
The most important attributes to be part of the Better Renting team are passion and initiative - many of the skills listed above can be learnt in the role. While our ideal candidate would have all of these skills, please don't be put off. We encourage you to apply if you are interested.
This role is currently open and applications will be assessed on an ongoing basis. To apply, please email an expression of interest to email@example.com as soon as possible with:
- A copy of your CV,
- If possible, any examples of previous work you've done in this area, &
- Let us know in up to 300 words total: (1) why you're interested in this role and (2) why you think you'd be a great candidate.