The Graphic Designer is responsible for creating and maintaining the visual brand of Better Renting by developing a distinctive style and creating consistent designs. This is a volunteer role.
What you get out of it
In this role you'll create graphics and materials that will help increase the reach of Better Renting, enable us to broaden our audience and build our power. You'll have practical opportunities to build skills in designing using different software and for different media. You'll have space to experiment, fail, and learn.
Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, liveable homes. We use campaigning and community organising to extend the rights of renters, while building the capacity of our community to also defend our existing rights. We are a grassroots not-for-profit, led by renters.
The workload would fluctate from week-to-week. We expect the average workload would be around two hours a week. The capacity to turnaround work quickly would be valued highly.
We would prefer you to be based in Canberra, Sydney, or Melbourne. However, this role could be done from any location.
- Website design - identifying options to improve the fluency and usability of our website. (We currently use NationBuilder as a CMS. The Graphic Designer may generate ideas to improve the website but wouldn't necessarily be responsible for implementing them.)
- Designing materials such as facebook squares, infographics, posters, flyers, stickers.
- Designing reports and similar written documents.
Skills and attributes
- A confident working knowledge of your preferred graphic design software.
- A visual thinker with an understanding of principles of good design.
- The ability to interpret and understand our brand and communicate this visually.
- Quick, efficient worker: "done" is more important than "perfect", and you can turn out high-quality work quickly.
The most important attributes to be part of the Better Renting team are passion and initiative - many of the skills listed above can be learnt in the role. While our ideal candidate would have all of these skills, please don't be put off. We encourage you to apply if you are interested.
This role is currently open and applications will be assessed on an ongoing basis. To apply, please email an expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible with:
- A copy of your CV,
- Your portfolio, or examples of previous work, &
- Let us know in up to 300 words total: (1) why you're interested in this role and (2) why you think you'd be a great candidate.