The Media Coordinator is responsible for liaising with journalists and media outlets to increase Better Renting's impact through online and offline media. This is a volunteer role.
What you get out of it
The Media Coordinator will contribute to Better Renting's mission by helping us to shift public opinion and influence decision-makers. You'll help renters to make their voices heard in a housing conversation that often ignores us. You'll have autonomy in generating and pursuing ideas and approaches, and the chance to strengthen skills in pitching, messaging, and comms.
Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, liveable homes. We use campaigning and community organising to extend the rights of renters, while building the capacity of our community to also defend our existing rights. We are a grassroots not-for-profit, led by renters.
The time commitment would vary from week to week, with a minimum commitment of 2 hours and up to 4-6 hours in key weeks.
We would prefer you to be based in Canberra, Sydney, or Melbourne. However, this role could be done from any location.
- Identifying angles for stories to pitch to media.
- Writing media releases and media alerts.
- Pitching stories to media.
- Building relationships with journalists.
- Maintaing a media database.
- Monitoring media for relevant issues.
Skills and attributes
- You should be a strong writer who can quickly produce pithy, engaging content.
- You should have an interest in the media industry.
- You should be a direct and effective communicator.
The most important attributes to be part of the Better Renting team are passion and initiative - many of the skills listed above can be learnt in the role. While our ideal candidate would have all of these skills, please don't be put off. We encourage you to apply if you are interested.
This role is currently open and applications will be assessed on an ongoing basis. To apply, please email an expression of interest to email@example.com as soon as possible with:
- A copy of your CV,
- Any examples of relevant work that you've done previously, and
- Let us know in up to 300 words total: (1) why you're interested in this role and (2) why you think you'd be a great candidate.