The Policy and Research Officer is responsible for growing our understanding of issues facing renters, and possible policy solutions. This is a volunteer role.
What you get out of it
This is a great role for someone interested in research, public policy and government decision-making. Your work will influence and inform our advocacy and policy positions, leading to better outcomes from our campaigning. You'll have freedom to investiaget ideas and make the case for particular policy options. You'll build skills in research and policy development, and a nuanced understanding of issues related to housing policy in Australia.
Better Renting is a community of renters working together for stable, affordable, liveable homes. We use campaigning and community organising to extend the rights of renters, while building the capacity of our community to also defend our existing rights. We are a grassroots not-for-profit, led by renters.
This role would involve a commitment of around 4 to 8 hours a week.
We would prefer you to be based in Canberra, Sydney, or Melbourne. However, this role could be done from any location.
- Conducting research to understand issues facing renters and potential policy responses.
- Develop summary papers for the Better Renting team.
- Collating research to build a database of useful data.
- Assisting with original research for Better Renting, including research design, data gathering, and authoring reports.
- Liaise with staff and academics in other organisations.
- Stay up-to-date with policy developments and research in the Australian context.
Skills and attributes
- An ability to critically analyse a range of options.
- Strong recall and detail-oriented.
- Strong abilities with excel or equivalent software.
- You should enjoy learning and enquiry.
- Strong skills in analytical reading and concise writing.
The most important attributes to be part of the Better Renting team are passion and initiative - many of the skills listed above can be learnt in the role. While our ideal candidate would have all of these skills, please don't be put off. We encourage you to apply if you are interested.
This role is currently open and applications will be assessed on an ongoing basis. To apply, please email an expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible with:
- A copy of your CV,
- Any examples of relevant work that you've done previously, and
- Let us know in up to 300 words total: (1) why you're interested in this role and (2) why you think you'd be a great candidate.